Physical therapy treats many injuries, conditions, and diseases. Chadd Duncan, PT, your Houma, LA, physical therapist, can help with issues like recovering after an illness or arthritis.
Here's a list of common physical therapies:
- Geriatrics physical therapy focuses on older adults and their mobility. The purpose is to help restore movement and reduce pain while taking into consideration physical limitations. Your Houma doctor treats them for arthritis, cancer, osteoporosis, Alzheimer's disease, joint replacement, and balance disorders.
- Orthopedic physical therapy is most useful for athletes because it restores the musculoskeletal system: joints, tendons, ligaments, and bones. Stretching, strength training, and endurance exercises are examples of treatments used by your doctor.
- Neurological physical therapy focuses on neurological conditions. Your doctor works on treating individuals who suffer from Alzheimer's disease, brain injury, cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's disease, spinal cord injury, and stroke. Treatment plans attempt to teach patients how to adapt to several loss impairments such affecting their vision, balance, mobility, and muscle loss.
- Cardiopulmonary physical therapy helps people with cardiovascular and pulmonary conditions like those who have suffered from heart attacks, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and pulmonary fibrosis. Your doctor wants to help patients improve endurance and functional capabilities.
- Pediatric physical therapy helps adolescents who may be dealing with sports injuries. Treatments include therapeutic exercises and modalities that alleviate pain, regain strength, improves range of motion, children's balance, and flexibility.
Rehabilitation crucial for recovery following serious illnesses, injuries and/or surgeries.
If you have any questions or concerns, call Chadd Duncan, PT a HealthPro Physical Therapy professional in Houma, LA, today!
Not sure why you're suffering from neck and back pain? Chadd Duncan, PT of HealthPro Physical Therapy in Houma, LA shares a few common causes of neck and back pain and explains how physical therapy can relieve your painful symptoms.
Why do I have pain?
Neck and back pain can occur for a variety of reasons, including:
- Osteoarthritis: Years of wear and tear can result in osteoarthritis, a condition that occurs when the protective layer of cartilage that covers your joints and discs begins to break down, causing the bones to rub together painfully.
- Sprains and Strains: Sprains and strains can occur if you've been in a vehicular accident, lifted a heavy object or participated in a sport. The injury isn't always apparent immediately. Because it may take a few hours or days for the pain to intensify, you may not even be aware that your symptoms were caused by lifting that bag of mulch or playing a pick-up game of football.
- Poor Posture: Slouching constantly or failing to maintain good posture when you drive or sit at a desk strains your muscles and joints, resulting in pain.
- Text Neck: Text Neck, a recently identified condition, occurs when you frequently look down at a smartphone or iPad. Bending your head downward places a great deal of stress on the bones, muscles, ligaments and joints of your neck and can cause headaches and pain and stiffness in your neck and shoulders. If you don't change the way you hold your phone, text neck can even cause permanent changes to your spine.
- Sleep Habits: Have you ever woken up with a stiff neck or back? Sleeping in unusual positions can cause pain that sometimes last for days.
- Herniated Discs: The vertebrae in your spine are cushioned by soft discs covered by a tough outer coating. A disc becomes herniated when the soft center breaks free of the outer layer.
How can physical therapy help?
During physical therapy in our Houma office, you'll participate in stretching exercises that increase your range of motion and flexibility and exercises and activities that strengthen the muscles that support your joints. Your treatment plan may also include hot or cold packs, massage, electrical stimulation treatment, ultrasound therapy or neck traction.
Ease your neck and back pain with physical therapy. Call Chadd Duncan, PT of HealthPro Physical Therapy in Houma, LA at (985) 872-5777 to schedule an appointment.
Welcome to the Blog of HealthPro Physical Therapy
HealthPro Physical Therapy would like to welcome you to our blog. Here you will find informative and useful postings about physical therapy and our practice.
At HealthPro Physical Therapy we believe that educated patients are better prepared to make decisions regarding their physical health and wellbeing. Our blog was designed to provide you with the latest physical therapy developments and valuable health advice from our dedicated team.
HealthPro Physical Therapy hopes you find our blog to be a great resource for keeping up to date with proper physical therapy techniques and treatments.
We welcome all comments and questions.
-- HealthPro Physical Therapy
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.