Turn to the drug-free, non-surgical way to alleviate your persistent aches and pain.
Neck and back pain are the two most common issues that people face, whether that's caused by sitting for hours in front of a desk, a generally sedentary lifestyle, or sustaining certain injuries. No matter the cause, our Houma, LA, physical therapist, Dr. Chadd Duncan, has just the chiropractic options to help improve your overall musculoskeletal health while targeting the problems that are leading to your neck and back pain.
What is causing my neck pain?
There are many conditions and injuries that could be held responsible for neck pain. The most common causes of neck pain tend to be injuries such as whiplash, strains, or sprains. Other causes include herniated discs, a pinched nerve, degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis, and fibromyalgia.
What causes back pain?
Some of the same conditions that lead to neck pain can also cause back pain. Common back pain causes include,
- Poor posture
- Strains and sprains
- Bulging or ruptured discs
- Broken bone
When should I seek treatment?
If you’ve been dealing with severe pain, pain that is steadily getting worse, or pain that hasn’t improved in six weeks, then it’s time to seek medical attention. Of course, if your neck or back pain is the result of an injury you should see a doctor immediately to make sure that the injury isn’t severe.
How can a chiropractor help me?
If you are suffering from neck or back pain, you can find the relief you need through physical therapy and chiropractic treatment. Not only can we diagnose the problem, but we can also create an individualized treatment plan to fit your condition and the symptoms that you are experiencing.
Undergoing regular chiropractic adjustments (i.e. spinal manipulation) can help to realign the spine and take pressure off certain nerves, ligaments, and muscles while improving blood flow to these areas and promoting healing. Chiropractic treatment also has the ability to reduce pain, swelling, and inflammation, while restoring joint/muscle flexibility and range of motion.
Don’t let pain tell you what you can and can’t do. If neck or back pain is becoming a regular occurrence, then it’s time to turn to HealthPro Physical Therapy in Houma, LA, for the care you deserve. Dial (985) 872-5777 today!
How physical therapy from your provider in Houma, LA, can help you
Physical therapy services can help you get back on your feet after an injury or accident. Physical therapy can help you heal after surgery. Physical therapy can help you and your body feel great! Chadd Duncan, PT at HealthPro Physical Therapy in Houma, LA, can help you, your body, and your spirit enjoy good health.
Physical therapy is an important cornerstone in medical treatment. It adds value by helping you heal from:
- Traumatic injuries, vehicle accidents, or sports injuries; physical therapy works to relieve pain associated with muscles, tendons and joints which have experienced traumatic injury. Stretching, strengthening, therapeutic massage, and other services can help you get relief from traumatic injury pain.
- Medical conditions including diabetes, arthritis, and other debilitating medical issues; physical therapy can relieve body pain associated with conditions that compromise your muscles and joints. Body pain can affect your ability to heal and get active again, which in turn affects your outlook on life. Physical therapy can help you get back to living a normal, active life.
- Surgical procedures; physical therapy treatment can help with tissue healing by reducing inflammation and swelling, and increasing range-of-motion. Physical therapy can potentially reduce your downtime after surgery and get you back to your daily activities.
Your physical therapist will use a variety of treatments both in-office and at-home to promote wellness in your body. Some of the many treatments your therapist may recommend include:
- Exercises, to increase strength, flexibility, and function in your muscles, tendons, and ligaments
- Massage, to increase circulation, relax your muscles, and relieve body pain
- Education, to help you care for yourself and heal at home
Physical therapy is an important foundation of treatment to get you back to feeling your best. Your physical therapist can help your body heal after a traumatic injury or surgery. Physical therapy is also a way to promote wellness if your body is compromised by a serious medical condition. To find out more about what physical therapy can do for you, call Chadd Duncan, PT at HealthPro Physical Therapy in Houma, LA, today!
It's hard to enjoy life when your neck and back hurt constantly. Fortunately, physical therapy can help relieve your pain and improve mobility. Physical therapy is among the services offered by Chadd Duncan, PT at Health Pro Physical Therapy. The Houma, LA, physical therapy practice provides the care you need to return to your usual activities.
What causes neck and back pain?
Common causes of neck and back pain include:
- Posture Issues: Your posture may be perfectly fine when you stand, but what about when you sit? If you work in a job that requires you to sit at a desk all day, you may slouch or hunch over without realizing it. Poor posture causes pain when it stresses the joints and muscles in your neck and back.
- Osteoarthritis: It's not uncommon to develop osteoarthritis as you grow older. The condition occurs when the cartilage that helps cushion the ends of your bones begins to wear away due to wear or tear. When this happens, the bones in the joint rub together when you move, causing pain.
- Text Neck: Would you be lost without your smartphone or tablet? The devices help us stay connected, but they can also cause text neck, a condition that may be responsible for your symptoms. Looking down at digital devices constantly stresses bones, ligaments, joints, and muscles and may even lead to permanent spinal changes.
- Strains and Sprains: Falls, lifting heavy objects, or vehicular accidents can cause you to sprain or strain the muscles in your neck or back. Symptoms don't always occur immediately. In fact, you may not experience any pain until a few days after your injury.
- Herniated Discs: Wear or tear or an accident or fall can cause changes in the soft discs between your vertebrae. When the disc begins to bulge, it may press on nerves, causing numbness, weakness, and pain.
How can physical therapy help me?
Your Houma physical therapist will devise a treatment program based on your specific injury and symptoms. Your plan will probably include strengthening and stretching exercises that will help decrease pain, improve your mobility, and strengthen your muscles. Your physical therapist may also ease your symptoms with heat or cold applications, ultrasound therapy, massage, deep tissue laser therapy, and other treatments.
Relieve your neck and back pain with a visit to Chadd Duncan, PT of Health Pro Physical Therapy in Houma, LA, and treatment sessions. Call (985) 872-5777 to schedule an appointment.
Dislocation occurs when a bone moves out of its normal position in the joint. Areas of the body that tend to be most prone to dislocation include the hips, fingers, shoulders, elbows, knees, ankles, and toes. After a dislocated joint is set back in place and given time to heal, physical therapy is then needed to improve strength, stability, and range of motion in the joint. At Health Pro Physical Therapy, Chadd Duncan, PT, is your experienced physical therapist for physical therapy in Houma, LA.
Dislocations occur as a result of sports injuries, falls, sustaining a hit to the joint, or some medical conditions, such as rheumatoid arthritis. When a joint is dislocated, it will be noticeably out of place. Dislocated joints are also painful. Bruising and swelling often occur, as well, and range of movement will be severely restricted. Setting a dislocated joint back in place should only be performed by a medical professional. Afterward, depending on the severity of the dislocation, the joint might need to remain immobilized for a few days or weeks to fully heal.
Physical therapy of the dislocated joint can begin once the joint has been reset and had time to heal. Physical therapy will help strengthen the joint, increase stability, and restore full range of motion. Physical therapy can include resistance exercises to increase strength and gentle stretching to improve flexibility and range of motion. The overall goal of physical therapy is to rehabilitate the joint so it can return to normal functioning. In Houma, physical therapy for dislocations is available at Health Pro Physical Therapy.
Physical therapy after a dislocation helps rehabilitate the dislocated joint by improving strength, stability, and range of motion. If you need physical therapy in Houma, LA, schedule a consultation with physical therapist Chadd Duncan, or another member of the physical therapy team at Health Pro Physical Therapy, by calling (985) 872-5777.
Physical therapy treats many injuries, conditions, and diseases. Chadd Duncan, PT, your Houma, LA, physical therapist, can help with issues like recovering after an illness or arthritis.
Here's a list of common physical therapies:
- Geriatrics physical therapy focuses on older adults and their mobility. The purpose is to help restore movement and reduce pain while taking into consideration physical limitations. Your Houma doctor treats them for arthritis, cancer, osteoporosis, Alzheimer's disease, joint replacement, and balance disorders.
- Orthopedic physical therapy is most useful for athletes because it restores the musculoskeletal system: joints, tendons, ligaments, and bones. Stretching, strength training, and endurance exercises are examples of treatments used by your doctor.
- Neurological physical therapy focuses on neurological conditions. Your doctor works on treating individuals who suffer from Alzheimer's disease, brain injury, cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's disease, spinal cord injury, and stroke. Treatment plans attempt to teach patients how to adapt to several loss impairments such affecting their vision, balance, mobility, and muscle loss.
- Cardiopulmonary physical therapy helps people with cardiovascular and pulmonary conditions like those who have suffered from heart attacks, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and pulmonary fibrosis. Your doctor wants to help patients improve endurance and functional capabilities.
- Pediatric physical therapy helps adolescents who may be dealing with sports injuries. Treatments include therapeutic exercises and modalities that alleviate pain, regain strength, improves range of motion, children's balance, and flexibility.
Rehabilitation crucial for recovery following serious illnesses, injuries and/or surgeries.
If you have any questions or concerns, call Chadd Duncan, PT a HealthPro Physical Therapy professional in Houma, LA, today!
Not sure why you're suffering from neck and back pain? Chadd Duncan, PT of HealthPro Physical Therapy in Houma, LA shares a few common causes of neck and back pain and explains how physical therapy can relieve your painful symptoms.
Why do I have pain?
Neck and back pain can occur for a variety of reasons, including:
- Osteoarthritis: Years of wear and tear can result in osteoarthritis, a condition that occurs when the protective layer of cartilage that covers your joints and discs begins to break down, causing the bones to rub together painfully.
- Sprains and Strains: Sprains and strains can occur if you've been in a vehicular accident, lifted a heavy object or participated in a sport. The injury isn't always apparent immediately. Because it may take a few hours or days for the pain to intensify, you may not even be aware that your symptoms were caused by lifting that bag of mulch or playing a pick-up game of football.
- Poor Posture: Slouching constantly or failing to maintain good posture when you drive or sit at a desk strains your muscles and joints, resulting in pain.
- Text Neck: Text Neck, a recently identified condition, occurs when you frequently look down at a smartphone or iPad. Bending your head downward places a great deal of stress on the bones, muscles, ligaments and joints of your neck and can cause headaches and pain and stiffness in your neck and shoulders. If you don't change the way you hold your phone, text neck can even cause permanent changes to your spine.
- Sleep Habits: Have you ever woken up with a stiff neck or back? Sleeping in unusual positions can cause pain that sometimes last for days.
- Herniated Discs: The vertebrae in your spine are cushioned by soft discs covered by a tough outer coating. A disc becomes herniated when the soft center breaks free of the outer layer.
How can physical therapy help?
During physical therapy in our Houma office, you'll participate in stretching exercises that increase your range of motion and flexibility and exercises and activities that strengthen the muscles that support your joints. Your treatment plan may also include hot or cold packs, massage, electrical stimulation treatment, ultrasound therapy or neck traction.
Ease your neck and back pain with physical therapy. Call Chadd Duncan, PT of HealthPro Physical Therapy in Houma, LA at (985) 872-5777 to schedule an appointment.
Welcome to the Blog of HealthPro Physical Therapy
HealthPro Physical Therapy would like to welcome you to our blog. Here you will find informative and useful postings about physical therapy and our practice.
At HealthPro Physical Therapy we believe that educated patients are better prepared to make decisions regarding their physical health and wellbeing. Our blog was designed to provide you with the latest physical therapy developments and valuable health advice from our dedicated team.
HealthPro Physical Therapy hopes you find our blog to be a great resource for keeping up to date with proper physical therapy techniques and treatments.
We welcome all comments and questions.
-- HealthPro Physical Therapy
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.