Posts for tag: Neck Pain
It's hard to enjoy life when your neck and back hurt constantly. Fortunately, physical therapy can help relieve your pain and improve mobility. Physical therapy is among the services offered by Chadd Duncan, PT at Health Pro Physical Therapy. The Houma, LA, physical therapy practice provides the care you need to return to your usual activities.
What causes neck and back pain?
Common causes of neck and back pain include:
- Posture Issues: Your posture may be perfectly fine when you stand, but what about when you sit? If you work in a job that requires you to sit at a desk all day, you may slouch or hunch over without realizing it. Poor posture causes pain when it stresses the joints and muscles in your neck and back.
- Osteoarthritis: It's not uncommon to develop osteoarthritis as you grow older. The condition occurs when the cartilage that helps cushion the ends of your bones begins to wear away due to wear or tear. When this happens, the bones in the joint rub together when you move, causing pain.
- Text Neck: Would you be lost without your smartphone or tablet? The devices help us stay connected, but they can also cause text neck, a condition that may be responsible for your symptoms. Looking down at digital devices constantly stresses bones, ligaments, joints, and muscles and may even lead to permanent spinal changes.
- Strains and Sprains: Falls, lifting heavy objects, or vehicular accidents can cause you to sprain or strain the muscles in your neck or back. Symptoms don't always occur immediately. In fact, you may not experience any pain until a few days after your injury.
- Herniated Discs: Wear or tear or an accident or fall can cause changes in the soft discs between your vertebrae. When the disc begins to bulge, it may press on nerves, causing numbness, weakness, and pain.
How can physical therapy help me?
Your Houma physical therapist will devise a treatment program based on your specific injury and symptoms. Your plan will probably include strengthening and stretching exercises that will help decrease pain, improve your mobility, and strengthen your muscles. Your physical therapist may also ease your symptoms with heat or cold applications, ultrasound therapy, massage, deep tissue laser therapy, and other treatments.
Relieve your neck and back pain with a visit to Chadd Duncan, PT of Health Pro Physical Therapy in Houma, LA, and treatment sessions. Call (985) 872-5777 to schedule an appointment.